Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sewing Again!

Oh my! Doesn't it feel good to be at a sewing machine again!? And what a great new machine I have too! I haven't begun to peruse all the features or try the BSR. It just feels good to be in front of a familiar Bernina.

No matter which Bernina model I sew at, it's nice to instinctively know how to use it, especially since I won't get the eight hours of free instruction most people receive when they buy a new sewing machine.

Did you notice those 4-1/2" blocks? To use up scraps, my ongoing leaders and enders project is to sew 1-1/2" squares together to make 16-patch blocks.

This sewing was accomplished in a matter of a few hours. After digging out cutting supplies and sorting through the wire rack of fabrics, I got caught up on the past three months of the Bloggers' BOM.
Month 8, April 2012
Month 9, May 2012
Month 10, June 2012
As you can see, I'm making two blocks each month, so I'll have a more substantial-sized quilt. I'm already toying with the idea of putting the blocks on point and joining them in an unorthodox - improv? wonky? modern! - way. The finished quilt will still be named "Strawberry Fizz and Lime Pop." 

As some of you know, we had a bit of an "issue" here after buying a platform sleigh bed with a mattress and box springs. The bed was SO 39" high! Since the furniture store won't take back box springs, it has been exchanged for a "low profile" version... one that's a whole three inches lower. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't have a box springs at all, but doesn't my "Dashing the Churn" quilt look smashing on the bed!? Oh, and my selvage pillow too.

I know, I know. I need to make some pillow shams. They're on my list of home dec items to sew.

First up though was to make a cover for the dark brown, faux leather storage bench in the sewing room - a Craigslist find. It's storing almost all my batting.

I found this cheery fabric at JoAnn's, a half price home dec piece called "Paisley Prism" by Waverly. I cut up an old mattress pad to use as lining. Along with cording and Kona solid chartreuse to cover the cording, it cost only $25 to make, with plenty of fabric left over for something else too. A pillow maybe.

Looks like it passes the Hogan test. 

It's good to be sewing again. Now I'm off to do some real quilting... giving that BSR a test run.  Linda

23 comments:

  1. How fun to decorate and sew! Now that's a very comfy doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound sooooo happy to be sewing again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regret not making two blocks at a time now - still maybe will do just that this weekend. Yours look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo! Your machine is beautiful..Love your blocks..the colors fit perfectly in your new home and state...ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the sewing room again - whoot! Hogan sure looks to be enjoying his new spot in front of the window. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the BSR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sewing really makes the new Beautiful Diggs 'seam' like home, I'd say! Your new machine looks dreamy, Linda, congrats on that win again! Lovely sewing projects, too ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you are getting settled in and the most important room is coming together really well. I love Hogan's new bed.
    I know what you mean about bed's I got a new one a few years ago and some nights it is really hard to get into with the arthritis. Your quilt looks lovely on it.
    Your new machine is wonderful and I am glad you are back to sewing again.
    Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the churn dash quilt on the bed. How about a photo of the whole quilt. It looks gorgeous. BTW the bed doesn't look so funny now :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the churn dash quilt on the bed. How about a photo of the whole quilt. It looks gorgeous. BTW the bed doesn't look so funny now :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful machine and I love what you've been doing with your blocks. The quilt on the bed looks wonderful, I would have needed a step to hop up on the high one you had, lol. What a lovely spot for Hogan and right by the window too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay - you've inspired me to get my catch up bom blocks done this weekend - love the new bed for hogan - such pretty fabric - so glad you're settling in and finding time for sewing again :) ps - love the golf cart :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh and just wanted to say that dashing the churn looks just fabulous on the "lower" bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun with your new machine! I found I wasn't keen on the BSR - being an experienced quilter, you may be the same. Give it a good try though; I think it really depends on the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm at this moment in the process of putting the latest Blogger's BOM together as well. Yours look gorgeous. Love the fabrics you are using.
    Maybe you need a little ladder to climb into your bed ;). Why didn't the shop advise you about the height before you bought the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pink and green blocks go perfect with your new state of Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like the whole family is really settling in to your new house. It's really home when the sewing machine comes out. Lovely cover for your "puppy's" new domain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your BOM colors! Hogan looks like a happy camper too. Glad you are getting comfy in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pink and green blocks are very pretty! This will be a happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Churn Dash quilt on the bed.
    Your machine looks great, love to know how you like the BSR...enjoy your sewing time.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear you're sewing...and such pretty things!! Your bed and bench look lovely and your blocks are such a pretty color scheme. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good idea to use an old mattress pad for the bench cover (and it's so pretty - totally my colors). But I'm also loving your Dashing the Churn and your Strawberry Fizz and Lime Pop - awesome quilts, each.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pink and Green are such happy colors together and they just right for your new home. Great job on the storage chest. How fun to drive your golf cart to quilt club meetings - aw, the life! So glad you are enjoying your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now Hogan knows how to get comfy. I am sure enjoys looking out that window.
    The quilt looks fabulous on your new bed.
    Look at all your great blogger's block. Very fun. I will look forward to seeing how you set them.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin