Thursday, April 29, 2010

The English Group

Thanks to the lovely Di J., I have an in with The English Group. They're quilters who meet from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., once a month for tea, lunch, handwork, and chit-chat. It was an honor to be invited to join everyone at Gail's house on Thursday.

In photos, here's my day that began with a 15 minute walk to the Abbotford Wharf where I caught a Rivercat ferry into Sydney...
...and changed ferries to get to Double Bay.Then I walked past this... ...and this.....to get to Gail's house......where I saw these gorgeous, hand-pieced hexagon quilts.
Gail and Jill have finished hand-piecing and hand-quilting their quilts since I visited last October!
Jill and her quilt.
This is a quilt of native Australian flowers and plants that Jill's hand-quilting,...these hand-pieced Whirlygigs (a Sue Ross class) belong to Di...and this quilt top (another Sue Ross class) belongs to Gail.Robbie was hand-appliquing. Lyn's English paper-piecing hexagons.
I feel confident saying they all have a thing for hexies!Mid-morning, we had tea and coffee.The French pressed coffee was delicious, especially with a TimTam biscuit...on the balcony with these friends (L-R) Gail, Jill, Anne, Robbie, Lyn, me, and Di.
By 3 p.m., it was time for me to walk back to the Double Bay wharf ...and catch the ferry back to Sydney...and again be amazed by the Harbour Bridge...and wonder anew at the nerve of the people on top (below the flag)...and finally walk back home to Abbotsford and my family.
It was a perfect day.
I've invited The English Group to my house for the August get-together.

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful architecture and scenery. It looks like a wonderful day with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and wouldn't YOU be surprised if we showed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect day, best pic? coming home to the family.
    People pay money, quite a bit of it to put themselves through the challange of walking to the top of that bridge! Imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only have you physically travelled across the world you are moving around blog land as well. The weather looks wonderful. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so beautiful there with the blue of the sky and water, wonderful buildings, and spending it with family & friends.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin