Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Flaunt - Third Ten in '10 Finished

Yippie yi-yo-ki-yay!

Today I completed baby "Eric's" quilt. It's 48" X 48", comprised of disappearing nine patch blocks, a cowboy themed focus fabric, and two embroidered blocks. "Yippie yi-yo-ki-yay" still needs a label, but that has to wait for Eric's birth - when his real name will be revealed! - and I can include his birth date, weight, and length.
A unique aspect of this quilt is the binding. I followed instructions from a 2005 issue of Love of Quilting to make "caterpillar" binding. It's made with a loosely woven fabric, like homespun, that has the same color on both sides. Thanks to my friend, Michelle, who has a stash as good as a fabric store, the perfect royal blue and yellow plaid fabric now edges this quilt.
This binding was a bit tricky to sew, but I like it because it's different. If you'd like to try it for yourself, I'll be posting a tutorial soon.
I've also completed "greenwork" on this 12-1/2" X 12-1/2" (unfinished) stitchery that will become the center of a wallhanging I'll donate to this year's annual Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp (Story City, Iowa) quilt auction. Here's the link to pictures from the 2009 auction.

This pattern came from Wellington House Designs, one of the North Woods Memories blocks.

This week I also managed a little machine quilting every day. I've been quilting this "Plume" design, by Marilyn Badger.
Plumes are all over this string-pieced quilt I sewed and pin-basted a year ago!
It's a Bonnie Hunter pattern from www.Quiltville.com.

I'm pleased with the allover design, but it takes a long time to machine quilt 64" X 80". So far, I've filled and emptied four bobbins of #50-weight Aurifil.
It's been a good week. No more snow has fallen! And sweet, retired hubby washed my VW Bug for me. It doesn't take a whole lot to make me happy.

Hope you're having fun with quilty things.

5 comments:

  1. lovely quilt I'm sure 'Eric' will love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute quilt! He's going to love and treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy have you been busy. Can't wait for the caterpillar tutorial. will it last?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some interesting binding.
    Love those pine tress on your embroidery project. Your quilting is very good. I wish I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like I said in the post after this.... great weather for quilting. Doesn't VW Bug get buried in all that snow.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin